I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Monday, January 09, 2006

A Cross in the Office

So I came into work today (suffering from what we in the biz call a "holy hangover") and see a cross in my office.

Not a little chain I can wear around my neck. Not a decorative little paper weight. A big wooden cross that we use from time to time as an object lesson. It is propped up against the wall directly across the desk from me. As I read my Bible and work on some stuff for the seventeen lesson preps ahead of me this week, it is there. Present. Just there.

At first I was put off. I thought, "Dang it, Les. Why did you leave it in my office instead of where you found it?"

Then I found myself getting defensive and cynical as people would walk by and ask me about the cross, making some sort of "carrying my cross" reference, jokingly most of the time.

Also today I have had to deal with the minor irritation of someone in the church here trying to set me up with a friend. Then it hit me.

For the a long time I thought my "singleness" was a cross to bear. I thought it was something in the same vein as Paul's "thorn in the flesh." But it isn't. Being single is a totally viable lifestyle. Sure it is quieter and a bit more lonely than married life. But how conceited am I to think that being single is something I must endure? All along I have had this elevated self-importance that basically followed this line of thinking: since I am such a great guy (funny, interesting, witty, well-spoken, such a Godly guy) being single is God working to refine me. What a bunch of crap.

Implying that my singleness was a cross to bear implies that Paul, John, Elijah, Elisha, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Amos, Timothy, Titus and even Jesus himself all bore that cross of singleness. Well, I just don't believe that is so. Being single is a totally Biblical lifestyle. It is not good for man to be alone. Well, I am not alone. I have family. I have friends. I have co-workers. But right now, being single is absolutely the best thing for me. And as tough a pill as that can be to swallow for someone who enjoys the company of young lovelies, for where God has me right now, being single is best.

Will that be the case tomorrow? Maybe not. But to quote Ringo Starr, "Tomorrow never knows." As for right now I don't need to break my neck trying to date, trying to get married. Is there something cooking with a special lady? I like to think that there is always something cooking - even if the pot is just sitting on a cold stovetop right now. Have I met women who I want to spend time with? Absolutely. Do I continue to spend time with women? Yes to that too.

But is my life dismissive or empty or lacking compared to married life? No. Because that means I am not complete in Christ. I am only complete in marriage. And there is no way, no matter how you view scripture, that is true. Hopefully this could save you some stress and trouble too. You don't HAVE to date. You can be single. And be complete. And be happy. And be content. As long as you are not alone. And I believe in a Savior who remains in me, becoming closer than a brother.

1 Comments:

Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

You didn't hide the cross? :)

5:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home