I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

What Happened to us?

I saw another sermon series based on a TV show. And then a new shirt based on a secular advertising campaign. And then I heard a Christian song that was almost exactly like a popular secular song a few months ago.

Is the church THAT far behind that her leaders are totally lost? Have we forgotten how to lead? Why do we have to latch onto every pop culture or commercial success to try to "attract" people to church? I have been guilty of it too. I am not THAT far removed from doing a Survivor knockoff.

Are we SO desperate for warm bodies in the seats that we will sell our identities and manipulate a teaching series based on whatever pop culture trend was hitting two months ago? Why can't we stay ahead of the curve?

Is it so wrong for church leaders, shepherds, to just take the temperature of their flock and then discern where to lead, how to encourage, what to motivate towards and what to teach? If our church is struggling with fellowship, we should spend some time, resources and energy moving folks into some social gatherings. We should be asking our best and brightest lay leaders to come alongside and help us. We should be purposeful in reaching out to the fringe. Teach about inclusion. Teach about the beauty that we see in unity that comes from such wide diversity. Explain the power of brotherhood. Show how Jesus did so much to include, to reach, to love.

Or just watch CBS for a few weeks and see what show pops on the Neilsons. I am sure that the folks who are writing and creating the next "Dharma and Greg" are the folks you want at the rudder of your floating church. Well, I better go. I have to finish the latest Christian author's attempt to ride the coattails of condemnation by explaining what is wrong with Harry Potter or Frodo or King Kong or The Family Guy or whatever is popular and could help him make a buck.

Christians can be so dim sometimes. Just so painfully and predictably dim.

4 Comments:

Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

Guess i'll comment since i'm the only one who reads your blog!

The answer to your questions is...yes! The church is terribly behind the creative curve and is most often the follower.

That being said, I dont think its such a bad deal using the title of a tv series of show as a title for a sermons series. it's catchy and often times the sermon series has little to do with the tv show.

not that i would do it all the time, but it doesnt bother me.

hey-how about those beach boys?

6:35 PM

 
Blogger Chiefamongsinners said...

Catchy? I'm glad Jesus drew the masses with catchy...

The Word is not catchy, nor popular. If it doesn't have anything to do with the tv show then why use it? But then again I'll never pastor a megachurch~

9:57 PM

 
Blogger Rede Vida Mais CafĂ© said...

Hmm...I am taking a few minutes off to do some blog reading and happened upon your writings. This is some interesting stuff. I think that the question may be---who are you (the pastor) speaking to? If you are talking to a room full of Christians---then, I tend to agree with you. The church subculture tends to stick WAY behind the creative (and business) curve. However, hopefully we have many in our churches that are not believers. After all, when you look at the "why" of church---from the book of Acts to now---part of the "why" is to bring others into our circle. If this is the case then we need to be able to intersect them where they are. There is no need to wow them with our church subculture lingo. People need to hear the amazing news of who Christ is. It would seem to me that using the pop culture around us would a super way to connect with where they are :-)
You have super thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

10:36 AM

 
Blogger Bil said...

I think this is good commentary Craig, a frustration I share w/ you as well. I wonder if youve read much McManus who is obsessed w/ Xians setting the curve on art and culture rather than just reacting all the time. "An Unstoppable Force," comes to mind.

9:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home