I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Creatively Carry Them

Sunday's sermon on Mark 2 (where the four friends lower the paralytic to Christ by tearing the whole in someone else's roof) had me thinking.

Our emphasis was placed on getting others to Jesus. We looked at the four friends. We thought about what it means to actually get others to Jesus. As is my habit, the first day of the week here in the office I like to play Monday morning quarterback, which works out well because it is Monday morning. I like to try to figure out some more practical steps of application.

I get tired of common sense responses to faith. You know what I am talking about. The pastor preaches on being nice and making others feel included in the body. Everyone decides they will say hello to three new people each week and that is as far as it goes. I want to figure out how to program that sermon into our church. If we are having issues making people feel welcome, let's revamp our greeters and welcome system. Let's figure out how to answer questions and help erase confusion about church and the building. Let's actually do something. That is how I think now.

So, Sunday we have a good sermon about the four friends. My thoughts today center around their creativity and the risk they took. What is the modern day equivalent to lowering them through the roof? What really creative and effective approaches can we take to literally lay our lost and hurting friends at the feet of Jesus?

Some of the people either cannot or will not walk to Christ by themselves. So how creative can we get? What programs and events can we purposely and intentionally plan and put into place simply to lay people at the feet of Jesus? Are we willing to sacrifice more time? More energy? More resources? Are we willing to replace existing but maybe less fruitful methods in order to try something outside the box? Am I willing to cut through someone's roof, to take that risk that they may be more upset with my methods and overlook the results or the reason why?

So, some questions I am asking myself today:
- What two or three things can I do in my personal life AND in my ministry which is a modern version of that team creatively carrying their friend to Jesus?
- Whose roof will I be digging through?
- Am I willing to risk their response?
- Am I willing to help repair the roof when it is over?
- Is the risk of trying something totally new and innovative worth it?
- Are the people who need Jesus more important than a program or my concerns?

Any great ideas? Let me know. I am just getting started here.

1 Comments:

Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

all i know is if i hadnt been led around your building i dont know that i could have found anything.

had i arrived by myself though i probably would have been looking for signs or something. but i wasnt since i had a tour guide with me.

1:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home