I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Greatest Christian Album of All Time

Trying to sort through all of the entire 25+ year history of Christian music, it is so hard to shake out the very best album of all time. Basically, Christian music is sort of a sanctified echo of whatever is popular and making money in that wicked old secular market.

So, trying to sort through the entire genre, although it is not that old, to find the very best isn't as difficult as one might think.

Now, I understand that the decent Christian stuff you hear today was built on the shoulders of people like Amy Grant, Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Petra, Rez Band, Allies, Bryan Duncan, Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W. Smith. (I'll take has-been C- Listers for 500, Alex)

Now, I have, admittedly, not listened to as much Christian music from the 80's or even the 00's as others, especially my friend Dave, because I was too busy doing just about ANYthing else possible.

So, my entry into this debate. The greatest CCM album of all time.

Jesus Freak by DC TALK

I would do a track by track listing but there is no need to. It stands on its own. I also don't need to go into detail about the people who played on it. It is that good. One of the few really seminal albums of the 90's. And as much as Dave wants to argue, he knows I am right. But I bet he argues anyway.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aaron New said...

Old stuff that was really good:

Whiteheart - Freedom
Russ Taff - Russ Taff
Stryper - Yellow and Black Attack

11:13 AM

 
Blogger Aaron New said...

OK, I was just joking about Stryper (even though I did own all their albums).

11:13 AM

 
Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

Craig, if you had said Freedom by Whiteheart I would have had no quibble. Outstanding musicianship and great lyrics.

Jesus Freak is not a horrible choice either. It is clearly the best xian album of the 90's.

The only negative I have for it is dctalk as a band was...well...not a band. Somebody else is playing those instruments.

That said, the criteria was "best album" not best album by people playing their own instruments so I'm not throwing it out.

So...Jesus Freak, pretty good choice.

Freedom...better choice.
Russ Taff, Russ Taff...pretty good choice too. (You should borrow some cd's from Mr. New)

Best choice? No Turning Back Live, DeGarmo and Key. Early stages of ccm. Real band playing their own instruments. Playing them live. Jamming their brains out.

6:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home