I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Friday, August 03, 2007

Second Verse Same as the First

In a brief follow up to yesterday. I am going to give you some advice and then make two statements and then qualify one of them somewhat. Here goes.

The advice: Never read through James on a mission trip. Just too much to handle for one poor, misguided missional fool.

Statement: Like all Christians, I hate sin.

Qualify it: Like all Christians, I hate YOUR sin. Mine is fine, thank you very much. But yours, ugh! I can't even think about it. You are so bad. Your sin is so awful. When you die and get into eternity, God will certainly smite you. Your sin is icky. In fact, every time you sin a puppy dies. That is how bad it is. When I sin, it isn't that big a deal. Only a cat dies.

Statement: Christians cannot separate sin from the sinner. We should. We would like to. We seem incapable of it. So, since we hate your sin, we pretty much hate you too.

But Jesus loves me. Thanks Jesus.

(Note: this post was written late at night in a highly sarcastic tone and manner)

How can I share the simple, life changing love of Jesus Christ when I hate the people I am called to share it with?

3 Comments:

Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

which is the whole point of christianity. we have no righteousness of our own. it is all imputed.

3:15 PM

 
Blogger Aaron New said...

Craig,

I'm a little offended. I don't really hate the people I'm called to share Jesus with. It's just that people can be so hard to love when they are not like me.

To borrow an idea from another blogger..... People who are more conservative than me are obviously self-righteous fundamentalists. Or worse yet - Pharisees. People who are more liberal than me are obviously godless heretics.

Pharisees and heretics are hard to love. It'd be a lot easier to "share the simple, life changing love of Jesus Christ" if people would simply change their lives to be more like me first.

AN

6:46 AM

 
Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

actually-there was an announcement they will make an announcement.

but yeah-i'm there.

4:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home