I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Running the Cycle

Tomorrow night we move another group of graduates through the youth ministry. It is my seventh class to see off since I got to Hot Springs. While I do feel older and certainly look it, I am extremely proud of watching another group run the cycle with me.

I have taken two groups completely through, from 7th through 12th grades. I look forward to more challenges. But tonight I feel a bit reflective. I am also feeling a bit tired. And restless.

Restless because I feel like things need to change. We cannot do what we have always done. There has always been a sense of fluidity to how we do ministry. But a youth ministry must be a bit more flexible. Must be fluid. We have to be able to make some significant changes every few years. Our ministry is entirely different every two years.

A regular church, its dynamic remains a bit more constant. But the youth ministry must be able to change somewhat. We are on the verge of some significant things. And we must be able to make some changes. So I am excited to see what lies ahead. And I am praying fervently that God will allow the freedom, the elbow room, for us to make the necessary changes. If not, it is just gonna be business as usual. And I am not sure that is exactly desirable.

So, change for change sake? Bad. But change for purpose, to help you get where you feel you are being lead? Have to do it. The problem is, I am not sure how open we are to making some changes like that right now. But I am sure your church is totally different than mine. Totally.

And a quick FYI. Apparently, Super Summer in Oklahoma in the mid-90's...not a bad idea after all. Who knew?

One last thing on my mind...
RIP Jerry Falwell. I'm not a huge Falwell fan but he had moments of clarity. And he kept somewhat rooted to the effectiveness of the local church. I saw him once on the show POLITICALLY INCORRECT and he was asked about the problem with welfare. He said the church dropped the ball and stopped taking care of the poor. That is why Congress was forced to deal with it. I thought that was great. Until he said that the reason 911 happened was because of the homosexuals and the pagans. And feminists.

Falwell was much more palatable than other Christian nutjobs who try to rally the troops on the far right. Lord, spare me from anyone from the 700 Club or Colorado Springs.

3 Comments:

Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

falwell got that about welfare from me. i've been saying that for about 15 years.

9:01 AM

 
Blogger absonjourney said...

ok craig i don't get the super summer ok in the 90's reference. enlighten me...abs

4:38 PM

 
Blogger Aaron New said...

Speaking of palatable...... I'm back on Friday for lunch if you are still gonna be in town.

4:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home