I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Quitter Never Wins

Back again. The title of today's post is a call back to a Jonny Lang song off of his album LIE TO ME. I think he was in his late teens when he released the disc. It is sort of becoming the theme to my life. Not just weight loss. Right now I am committed to lose weight but I am tired in a way of that being the totality of my existence and the only subject people talk about.

People week after week after week, all they talk about is the weight. I understand I have made a dramatic shift in how I live. But I am more than what I weigh now, what I used to weigh and how much I have lost. This past weekend at church I found myself sort of secretly wishing I could start over new some place where they never knew big fat me. That way we could talk about other things besides my weight. No wonder people develop eating disorders and have HUGE issues with self-esteem. Everyone is obsessed with how much people weigh.

Ironically here is my weight loss info for the past week. Even though I am tired of talking about it ad nausea with every Tom, Dick and Harry...I have lost seven pounds (!) since last week, bringing the grand total to...

105 pounds! I have FINALLY busted the infamous century mark. I am not obsessed with losing weight. But I do still get excited about hitting some of these important numbers. 25, 50, 75 and now 100. It does feel good. What doesn't feel so good is that I probably need to lose another 100.

So I keep at it. There are many areas of my life where I refuse to quit. If I am going to do something, from here on out I want to do it with my absolute best effort. Too many people shut off huge portions of their lives because they have bumped up against some problems, some struggles, some issues. That is just backwards living. I had job issues so I am going to settle. I had family issues so I am resigning from the family and disappearing. I had relationship problems so I am just not dealing with any relationships period.

That seems easy. I have been in all of those places. I assume everyone has or everyone will. But from now on I cannot allow that defeatist mentality to overwhelm me. I keep moving. Because, as trite as it seems, a quitter never wins.

3 Comments:

Blogger absonjourney said...

After spending a weekend with you and seeing and hearing people commenting on your weight loss constantly I hear you bro. You are way more than your poundage. In fact, I left Arkansas in awe of what God has done through you. Love ya man! Abs

6:21 PM

 
Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

You're never beaten until you admit it. - George S. Patton

Congrats on the 100. You know i'm proud of you. Also jealous you get to the see the Who. I guess i could have gone but i just didnt jump on that deal.probably should have. they always put on an incredible show.

of course i'll get to see jonny lang and you wont. nananananana.

so...what do you think about dispensationalism?

7:14 PM

 
Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

since you wont answer my dispensationalism question...hows the weight loss going?????

7:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home