I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ten Word Answers

One of my favorite TV shows from the past ten years is The West Wing. I didn't always agree with the politics but I really enjoyed the show. That said, I didn't always disagree with the politics either. But there is one episode in the fourth season where President Bartlett is running for re-election and he comes heavily against the ten word answers to the nation's problems. It is easy to diagnose the problems. But more difficult to come up with a solution, a way of solving those complex problems.

Today I have been discussing one of those really complex issues in the church: drinking. I don't think the solution is as simplistic as Adrian Rogers or Danny Akin or any other tee-totaler can recommend. They are in that "Your alcohol abuse begins with your first drink, not your last. Just don't start!" So simple. And in a way, so ridiculous.

And I don't know if I can even listen to someone like Wade Burleson, who is so hardcore that one time, at supper, he drank a glass of wine! Take that SBC! Of course, according to Rogers and Akin and the rest, Burleson now should enter a 12 step program, that rotten booze hound!

I like Manning and Lewis more in dealing with these issues of faith. And it is teaching me to be more thoughtful about my faith. I had lunch with another friend, Aaron, and I was amazed at how quickly he could process information. I would sit and struggle with it. Aaron could zip through it. I was explaining some stuff I had heard at a conference that I was still working through. As I would mention it, Aaron would think and then say something like, "Okay, I can see that. I agree with that. That's not bad." He might ask one or two questions to clarify but by and large he was processing this stuff so quickly. Now if Aaron would write about those issues, I would listen. He was objective and accessible. Those are two things I need more of as I wade through issues with people. Or I could hollar from my soap box. The second is easier. But it makes me look foolish. How sad is it that as I get older, I seem to be getting more stupid.

I wish there were easy answers. It is just those people. Goodness. Ministry would be so easy if I never had to deal with people. People ruin a good ministry with their problems, issues and sins. Dang them. I need a drink...

3 Comments:

Blogger Aaron New said...

Shucks, man. You're making me blush. Don't be fooled by the facade, though. I'm just an intellectual rodeo clown. I'm not all that smart at sifting information, I just know how to appear like I am.

(Nor am I all that original. I plagiarized "intellectual rodeo clown" from another blogger.)

More seriously, I can relate to your frustration with the lack of easy answers. But I've decided life doesn't have easy answers and I am suspect of anyone who provides them.

Besides, as an educator I sometimes judge a student more by his/her questions than by his/her answers.

The fact that you know that you don't know all the answers makes you, my friend, a person worth listening to.

AN

11:36 AM

 
Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

i think many times we schout when the bible whispers.

ONE DRINK IS A SIN!

Well, then Jesus was a sinner.

There is NO prohibition against drinking in scripture. Only against being drunk.

Is there wisdom in not drinking? Often times, sure. Alcoholism runs in my family, so I dont partake. but i dont give a rip if you have a beer. Now if you get drunk, I've got a problem.

I just hate making rules where the bible doesnt.

6:42 PM

 
Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

we schout? what the heck????

6:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home