I have six months to reshape my life. I can do this.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm Okay

Aaron posted an interesting article on his blog. I started to comment on it and then realized the comment was becoming too big. So, you should click the link to the left RIGHT NOW and read today's post. Then come back here for my comment, left so inconveniently far away from Aaron's wonderful blog. Go ahead. Check it out. I will wait for you. Go on. SHOO!

Back? Great. Here is my comment on that article about rugged, manly men leaving God behind because apparently Jesus would rather his followers scrapbook and hold hands instead of share the hope of the gospel with a lost and dying world. Who knew?

Ellsworth left off AC Green, Emmitt Smith, Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin (albeit, the last two came to faith either after their playing days or in the later stages). He forgot David Robinson, Avery Johnson, Reggie White and Orel Hershiser.

I agree with his point about women sort of re-imagining how churches look and that basically there is a lack of "manliness" and jocularity because men have basically abdicated it.

But there are still plenty of opportunities to find the more masculine avenues of service. Surely churches need security teams, lawn maintenance, van drivers and even cooks - you know, grillers for the church picnic.

And since when did my faith become influenced by my preferences? I simply cannot approach my God the same way I approach going to view a movie. God is unchanging, the same yesterday and today and forever. I must approach my faith in that same way. I simply cannot allow what music I like or what technology I enjoy or what preaching connects with me to become more important than the object of my worship. Sometime a few years back our worship became more about us than about God. If Jesus was enough, if he was truly my portion that satisfied in times of famine and feast, than it shouldn't matter if there is any really butch ministry for me to plug into. I am called to be a Christ-follower before I am allowed to be a rugged man.

Man, does this shed some light on the selfish way I approach my faith. I hope you are not the same. But I have this sick, queasy feeling you just may be. And that, my young lovelies, is where we stumble into trouble. This Preferred Worship model that churches lean into is limiting our access to God, not broadening or enhancing it, like we may think it is. And that deserves a big old "Yowza!"

3 Comments:

Blogger david b mclaughlin said...

what about tony palamalu? he literally prays between every play. then he takes your freaking head off.

here is what i put on aarons blog:

...let Jesus make love to us

I can hardly stand to listen to praise and worship music because most of it sounds just like this.

if you are a bad person like me you are constantly snickering thru the lyrics of those songs.

11:34 AM

 
Blogger Tim Ellsworth said...

Thanks for your interest, Craig. Just a quick clarification, if I may. I didn't forget about any of the athletes you mentioned. My intention was to provide examples of Christian athletes, and not an exhaustive list -- thus my usage of the phrase "and many others."

I appreciate your comments.

10:28 AM

 
Blogger Craig Smith said...

Ah, Tim. I was not criticizing anything. Those are some of my all time favorite athletes. I just thought adding to the list would be nifty. Neato, perhaps.

I assumed you couldn't list every Christian athlete of all time. I just tossed in my faves. Authors can be so sensitive! Just like Dave Mac.

11:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home